George Washington – 1777 Winter Encampment at Jockey Hollow at Morristown, N.J.
After the battles of Trenton and Princeton, George Washington picked Morristown, N.J. as the site of the winter encampment for the Continental, where they remained from January 6 to May 28, 1777. Washington had his headquarters at Jacob Arnold’s Tavern located at the Morristown Green in the center of town. During this winter encampment, George Washington used the local churches as centers to innoculate the soldiers against small pox. Among the individuals innoculated was Martha Washington.